The impact of Jim Bunning's decision:
1. Unemployment benefits for 400,000 Americans allowed to elapse.
2. Triggered the furlough Monday (03/01) of 2,000 transportation workers.
3. Shut down multi-million dollar construction projects across the country.
4. Cut Medicare reimbursements to doctors by 21 percent.
5. Lose access to local televison stations because a copyright law expired Sunday night.
"Jim Bunning has done more to draw attention to the procedural abuses in the Senate than ever before," Van Hollen said. Compared with Sen. Richard Shelby's (R-AL) short-lived "blanket hold" last month, Van Hollen said Bunning's action has done far more to make the Democrats' point that the GOP is holding up the works in Washington. "This is part of the wake up call for Americans that Republicans are abusing the rules in the Senate," Van Hollen said. Klobochar agreed. "To see that one Senator could hold up what pretty much everyone thinks would go through," she said, sounding exasperated at Bunning's move, "well, that just makes no sense." Clyburn continued the theme of the call, stating that how Bunning could do what he did "is beyond me."
Maddow Slams Orrin Hatch For Lying, Washington Post For Printing It (VIDEO)
Mammoth typhoon barrels toward Japan - A mammoth typhoon is closing in on Japan, hurling dangerous winds and threatening to cause major flooding and mudslides.
38 minutes ago